FAA Reauth is Passed

The sooner everyone realizes that the FAA doesn't want us transferring facilities at all during our careers, the better off we all will be.

I get it, it sucks but I believe that's just the way it's gonna be. You can get close to that magical 85% staffed number but they will always do something to knock the numbers down. I.e. supervisor bid etc.

The sooner everyone realizes that the FAA doesn't want us transferring facilities at all during our careers, the better off we all will be.

I get it, it sucks but I believe that's just the way it's gonna be. You can get close to that magical 85% staffed number but they will always do something to knock the numbers down. I.e. supervisor bid etc.
This right here. We are about to certify someone to get over the 85 percent number. They just put out and SOI for a temp supe. To block and ERR transfer. If I knew my career progression was peaked at the age of 26, I would have never joined the FAA. One of the biggest regrets of my life

You can hate it all you want, but the FAA hiring controllers as supervisors is not some evil plan they have to keep controllers from moving. NATCA has gotten the FAA to mostly not take controllers to be supervisors from facilities that are understaffed per the same rules the NCEPT has. However, the FAA has the ability to promote those people at more convenient times, say right before the ncept numbers get locked. They are just playing the game under how the rules currently are. The system needs supervisors too, someone has to assign those ELMs.

This right here. We are about to certify someone to get over the 85 percent number. They just put out and SOI for a temp supe. To block and ERR transfer. If I knew my career progression was peaked at the age of 26, I would have never joined the FAA. One of the biggest regrets of my life
I mean if no one in house applies for it then it won't do anything to your numbers... now saying that, I know there's always someone who will apply for it. Usually one of the more annoying to work with individuals, probably a below par controller (not always, there's some great OSs out there)

That won’t move it. That’s the plan.
They don’t really have a choice. The current number of CPCs at every facility with a higher staffing target number will lower the national average. That’s exactly how that number is calculated, any other action by the agency would be falsification, and NATCA NCEPT reps would have an open/shut case in such an event.

Why not go dod or quit and contract then reapply after a year? Life is too short to let the faa keyhole you into one spot and be unhappy for your career.

Why not go dod or quit and contract then reapply after a year? Life is too short to let the faa keyhole you into one spot and be unhappy for your career.
They’re cracking down on all that. It’s not promised. I put all my eggs in this shitty basket

They don’t really have a choice. The current number of CPCs at every facility with a higher staffing target number will lower the national average. That’s exactly how that number is calculated, any other action by the agency would be falsification, and NATCA NCEPT reps would have an open/shut case in such an event.
They do have a choice, the standard was once national average, then they were over releasing, so they made it a hard number of 85% for a time. They will do something like that again instead of having 500 release when everywhere is already understaffed.

It was a collaborative decision and NATCA helped formulate that. Why do you think NATCA would fight something like that now? It would lower CPC headcount and that’s what the last two NATCA in Washington’s were fighting to protect.

Your facrep needs to be fighting any temp supe BS coming out of your bargaining unit, it you guys are below the National average.

They’re cracking down on all that. It’s not promised. I put all my eggs in this shitty basket
Is there actual proof of prior cpc’s being denied after being separated for a year? I know everyone’s situation is different but I’d definitely bounce and take my chances over being stuck in a place I was miserable at. In the world of remote/telework jobs, it’s not worth the misery imo.

Is there actual proof of prior cpc’s being denied after being separated for a year? I know everyone’s situation is different but I’d definitely bounce and take my chances over being stuck in a place I was miserable at. In the world of remote/telework jobs, it’s not worth the misery imo.
Yeah, I know a couple. Think I dodged the bullet, but Tier 2 land is great... :)

They do have a choice, the standard was once national average, then they were over releasing, so they made it a hard number of 85% for a time. They will do something like that again instead of having 500 release when everywhere is already understaffed.

It was a collaborative decision and NATCA helped formulate that. Why do you think NATCA would fight something like that now? It would lower CPC headcount and that’s what the last two NATCA in Washington’s were fighting to protect.
They chose 85% to reduce movements, but that’s also because it was still pretty close to the national average at the time. If they raise our target numbers they can’t let the national average or CPC to target percentage (whichever metric will be used for NCEPT).

Granted, the implementation of the CRWG will definitely introduce some nuance factors, no decision lens agreement has ever allowed that big of a difference between staffing and national averages. Plus reading through the CRWG and the FAA Reauth Bill respectively, there are no provisions that would even elude to the agency doing such a thing. We will see.

It’s no secret that the agency doesn’t want very many movements, but they don’t really want to stop us all and see a spike in resignations either. The bulk of this bill is about hiring more and solving staffing issues.

Last edited:
The whole 5 more slots per day. Fucking laughable. Sorry no one wants to fly into IAD. Get over it. Claiming "safety" is a slap in every controllers face. Yet our NLC will suck those Virginia and Maryland dicks without getting a reach around.
Can you explain the 5 slots thing to me... I haven't read in too deep on the reauth

Can you explain the 5 slots thing to me... I haven't read in too deep on the reauth
DCA is tiny airport and congested. By law, there a maximum number of arrival and departure slots allotted per hour. Additionally, there is a law called the perimeter rule which limits flights out of DCA to 1250 miles or less.

Over the years there have been amendments to that law to allow exceptions to the perimeter rule. So this FAA Reauthorization Act of 2024 carves out exemptions for 10 of those slots per day (5 round trips) to fly further.

IAD and DCA are operated and planned by the same airport authority. Allowing more perimeter exemptions hurts IAD's bottom line and sets an unwanted precedent for more exemptions. UAL, a major player at IAD also hates this for cutting into their market dominance of longer range flights.

One of the biggest regrets of my life
Is the other biggest finding out that Spoony1 through Spoony89 were still available?

Joking Schitts Creek GIF by CBC

Back
Top Bottom