How’s the work environment at P80? Why is the success rate 69%?

I've seen Portland tracon slander for years, and I've never heard it defended as anything other than a shit hole. Don't go there.

I've seen Portland tracon slander for years, and I've never heard it defended as anything other than a shit hole. Don't go there.
Maybe that's why Rich Kennington is in hiding? I heard he didn't even show at NATCA in Washington when he was the supreme leader just 2 years ago. Haven't heard him sing a song in years either.

Ah yes Anchorage. The place you can walk out of a bar at 2am in July and it will still be day time.

Maybe that's why Rich Kennington is in hiding? I heard he didn't even show at NATCA in Washington when he was the supreme leader just 2 years ago. Haven't heard him sing a song in years either.
That’s a name I have not heard in quite some time. He was king shit of all the legislative stuff and now he’s a ghost. Did he not favor extending the contract to 2199?

Around 10 years ago an academy classmate of mine that never worked there but had friends there said P80 had a lot "God Conplex" controllers there. They also said they washed out most minorities. This is 10 year old 2nd hand information though. So not sure how true it is now or if it was ever true in the 1st place.

Got my prior experience list and am down to A11 or P80. I’ve already gotten tons of feedback from A11 controllers. Why is P80 only 69% success rate?
I worked at P80 for nine years and left 2 years ago. Unless things have changed significantly, it was a great facility to work at. Most people plan to stay for the long haul and most of them are pretty great. The terrain/gorge winds/poor airspace design add some complexity to training, but it’s not impossible. The new TRACON is really nice.
It is an expensive place to live and housing can be difficult to find. There was a period of time where multiple trainees withdrew because they didn’t care for the area/couldn’t afford to live where they wanted.
If you’re willing to put significant effort into training and you enjoy the outdoors it’s a great place.

Back
Top Bottom