FAA Reauth is Passed

They are fucking over some places to be even more black hole than they already are. If you are at one of those places, you might as well quit if you are young because you ain't leaving and you ain't getting a raise.
My buddies level 5 up/down target number has been 17 and according to him theyā€™re being upped to 22. When theyā€™ve had 17 they were fat af, able to staff their operation well and approve a lot of spot leave. Whatā€™s gonna happen now is anyoneā€™s guess once those retirements hitā€¦ if anything good comes of this I sure hope the agency staffs from the lows on up, quite frankly I donā€™t see how the centers will release anyone again in the next 10 years with this move.

Iā€™ve been saying this from the start of the work group.

In general, is this a good move? Yes.
Is CRWG also ill timed with a bottleneck of an academy? Absolutely!

It makes no fucking sense to me to decide to raise target numbers when you can only hire so many candidates all while facing a huge retirement wave in the next 5-10 years. I really think the powers that be want to subtly reduce our workforce overall and do more with less, all while cloaking it under the guise of, ā€œlook, weā€™re doing things to try to fix our problems,ā€ā€¦that coincidentally seem to get worse everytime they start messing with shit.

How about we just focus SOLELY on hiring more controllers and quit fucking with numbers and other staffing measures that will induce early retirements and resignations which snowball the root cause??

It makes no fucking sense to me to decide to raise target numbers when you can only hire so many candidates all while facing a huge retirement wave in the next 5-10 years. I really think the powers that be want to subtly reduce our workforce overall and do more with less, all while cloaking it under the guise of, ā€œlook, weā€™re doing things to try to fix our problems,ā€ā€¦that coincidentally seem to get worse everytime they start messing with shit.

How about we just focus SOLELY on hiring more controllers and quit fucking with numbers and other staffing measures that will induce early retirements and resignations which snowball the root cause??
Increasing the rate and flow of prior experience hires will be the driver that softens the blow but short term it will hurt. That should get terminal the pipeline help it needs while opening space at the academy for more enroute throughput.

They had to create a new model to get the FAA off of their finance model. You canā€™t just tell them to not hire from their lovely finance model with no replacement model.

It does suck for all the current controllers though..but good for the long run of our profession

Last edited:
They had to create a new model to get the FAA off of their finance model. You canā€™t just tell them to not hire from their lovely finance model with no replacement model.

It does suck for all the current controllers though..but good for the long run of our profession
I more meant donā€™t mess with the numbers right at this instant if we arenā€™t hiring any more people. Not like forever. I may have strayed from my initial statement there.

Increasing the rate and flow of prior experience hires will be the driver that softens the blow but short term it will hurt. That should get terminal the pipeline help it needs while opening space at the academy for more enroute throughput.
See I think priors will only do so much for us, college and service enlistments take time and .mil controllers could reenlist, have a stop loss (meaning you canā€™t separate until career field numbers improve) and not to mention the DoD has controller shortages and attrition rates all its own, just to kick things off. I could be wrong about what the CTI side may bring but I wouldnā€™t count on droves of ex military controllers to help make this work.

Iā€™m sure not messing with current ncept numbers is the unspoken goal. The agency will obviously try to f**k us on that topic, but this is 100% the only way we get out of this mess. This is the answer to all the fatigue, more staffing thatā€™s in law.

Iā€™m sure not messing with current ncept numbers is the unspoken goal. The agency will obviously try to f**k us on that topic, but this is 100% the only way we get out of this mess. This is the answer to all the fatigue, more staffing thatā€™s in law.
Most likely. After the initial couple of NCEPT waves, the FAA tried to stop ALL movement.

They may or may not stop transfers. But that was a possibility, even without the new numbers. People hate NCEPT, but it's always been the compromise bandaid to keep transfers happening in the middle of declining cpc numbers. At some point though, something is going to give.

My buddies level 5 up/down target number has been 17 and according to him theyā€™re being upped to 22. When theyā€™ve had 17 they were fat af, able to staff their operation well and approve a lot of spot leave. Whatā€™s gonna happen now is anyoneā€™s guess once those retirements hitā€¦ if anything good comes of this I sure hope the agency staffs from the lows on up, quite frankly I donā€™t see how the centers will release anyone again in the next 10 years with this move.

That makes me so frustrated since we are trending to a level 8, but only can staff 8 controllers with our target number.. We have been short my entire career. Zero spot leave. OT weekly for years. How some places were ā€œfat staffedā€ and get even more numbers seems insane to meā€¦ But hopefully everyone ends up well staffed thatā€™s all I can hope for.

Last edited:

Why not? They got rid of the upgrade pathways before Abacus was done

Why not? They got rid of the upgrade pathways before Abacus was done
A system to count traffic is easier to change than getting the FAA to move off of their finance model. Not even remotely comparable.

Rinaldi was trying to get them off of the finance model during his tenure.

They are fucking over some places to be even more black hole than they already are. If you are at one of those places, you might as well quit if you are young because you ain't leaving and you ain't getting a raise.
silver lining: if you read the bill they are making the FAA and the Transportation Research Board conduct a study on the FAAs finance model and CRWG. Then whatever recommendations the TRB makes the FAA will adopt. They have one year to do this and during this year they will hire to CRWG.

Its a huge win getting them off their finance model but who knows what the TRB will recommend

A system to count traffic is easier to change than getting the FAA to move off of their finance model. Not even remotely comparable.

Rinaldi was trying to get them off of the finance model during his tenure.
Then why hasnā€™t it been implemented. Why are there numerous centers not getting paid appropriately.

but who knows what the TRB will recommend
arnold schwarzenegger nbc GIF by The New Celebrity Apprentice

Back
Top Bottom